Thursday, November 11, 2010

It's a hard knock life :(


You know what I really hate? How no matter how much you try, your efforts are all in vain (<- DBSK) if you slip up even just that one time.

For example, you could wash all the plates in the entire city, and no one would care if you left that one dirty spoon in the sink and didn't bother cleaning the basket strainer. You may have written the perfect college essay, but one spelling error, and you get put in the reject pile. You could work overtime for years, but if you slip up in just one big project, you're still getting the boot. You could do your homework every single night for months, but if you happened to forget the day the teacher's checking homework, sorry, but you're still getting a zero. You could be the best Project Manager in the history of The Apprentice, but if by whatever unfortunate circumstances your team loses, you are still most likely going to be fired!


Doesn't it suck being held to such high standards all the time? The harder you try, the more it stands out when you fail to reach your usual level of excellence. Question: why try so hard? The bigger your reputation becomes, the harder you fall. Cut yourself some slack; don't do so much. You're only making life harder for yourself, and honestly, others don't care that much. Sure, they may appreciate it once in a while when it suits to benefit them, but after a while it becomes routine to them. They start taking you for granted and will only stop to notice your failures.

Rant though I may, in the end we all just have to suck it up; afterall,
It's a hard knock life :(
Food for thought:
Have you ever felt similarly? Maybe overworked and/or unappreciated?
What do you do to unwind?









7 comments:

  1. It's true. Calvin, of Calvin and Hobbes fame, feels getting a C is better than getting an A because then everybody else's expectations are much lower. I tend to agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been picking up water bottles and assorted garbage for the school soccer team for 4 years now. Even now, as a senior. I have helped out with equipment so many times and I know for a fact that some of the other girls don't do anything to help out.

    It's when people are NOT doing those little things when I get frustrated and angry. All I expect is that SMALL thing but you think you're too above that to even do it. That one thing that will take you a total of 19 seconds to accomplish. Gosh. Though, I've never voiced this....

    Anyways, it reminds me of my sister. Our house got egged on Halloween and my mom stood on a kitchen chair scrubbing the windows above the front door. My sister proceeded to complain a week later that "Mom missed a spot." One of the side windows was egged and my mom didn't see it. My sister doesn't think she should clean it up - in fact, she continued to remind me that it was still there, and she continued to remind my mother. That is, until I blew up in her face.

    It's ... I can't explain it. I have had that homework feeling before, and just in general know what you're talking about.

    Do it for yourself. And in Psych 1 we learned about morality and the different "levels" of it. I'll admit, maybe I'll do it for the person that is silently watching or for the off-chance that someone is watching and judging me. It's not the highest "morality" level...but I'm workin' on it.

    I don't think my comment made sense.

    Unwind? Music...food.... Also, my forgetfulness helps.

    -Sli

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! I totally understood your psychobabble! I don't know if I can say this enough, "I hate people!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't disagree more:
    "The reward of a thing done well is to have done it" - ralph waldo emerson
    "Thank God every morning when you get up that you have something to do whihc must be done whether you like it or not. Being forced to work, and forced to do your best, will breed in you temperance, self control, diligence, strength of will, content, and a hundred other virtues which the idle never know" - charles kingsley
    "Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your task! Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle, but you shall be the miracle" - phillips brooks ... yeah, i can be deep :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. GAH, i wrote a lot ... and typo-ed - i hate typos

    ReplyDelete
  6. what are these like leftover senior quotes you found? :P

    ReplyDelete