Sunday, November 7, 2010

My name is Anna :)

Today was mostly uneventful other than pizza for lunch with Grace, so I'm going to blog about some random thoughts floating through my mind.


First of all, in lieu of Halloween (though it was a week ago), I must question, who in tarnation likes black licorice?! No one! But obviously someone does, because we've pretty much been beat over the head with the theory of supply and demand. In order for there to be a supply of licorice, someone has to be demanding it. Who? Just saying.


Random question: Do you think they picked Saturday for SAT day because it's symmetrical to have the SATs on Sat.? Someone (sadistic) must have had a sense of humor/irony.


Speaking of symmetry, my name would never have been Anna if not for the symmetry of my birth time. I was born at 11:21 on 11/21. In recognition of that, my parents decided to name me Anna because it's a palindrome; that and my mom was into Princess Diana. They thought it would be punny for my Chinese name to be Dai An Na (戴安娜). But prior to the day of my birth, it had been set that I'd either be an Elizabeth or...Mona :O I can't really see myself as an Elizabeth, and as for Mona... It was a popular name at the time in the Canadian Chinese community. I actually personally know 3 Chinese Mona's around my age who live in Canada. Eh? I guess along with Princess Diana, the parentals were also into the Mona Lisa.



On the subject of names, it's somewhat upsetting how people I've known for years are spelling my name as Ana just because I changed it on Facebook. I did so to elude nosy colleges, but I never imagined that people I'm at the very least well acquainted with could forget the proper spelling of my name. That, along with how different people think I look with my new haircut surprised me. Honestly, I don't even look that different. To prove my point:




The first is a picture of me about a month before my haircut and the second is of me the day after I cut my hair. The length and bangs were not that different! Whatever, I'm honestly just really relieved that
My name is Anna :)
Food for thought:
Do you actually know someone who enjoys licorice? or do you yourself?
What other names did your parents have in mind for you?
How much, do you think, are we defined by our names?

7 comments:

  1. I actually do enjoy licorice... Just not black or chocolate licorice, that stuff is gross. Australian soft licorice however, is AMAZING. Darrell Lea's, I think it's called, has orgasmic strawberry and mango licorice. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Licorice sucks.
    2. My grandpa wanted to name me Pragya. Thank God my parents didn't.
    3. Very much. It's a concrete representation of who we are as people and it's our parents responsibility to choose wisely enough to reflect that.
    4. Did you know that in India you don't need to have a name to leave the hospital? My sister was named 9 days after her birth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @stephen: LOL I was referring to black licorice. Everyone loves twizzlers. duh!
    @srish: you would answer 4 questions when there's only 3 given, you overachieving @#$%! jk actually your #4 answered my question which was, how do you think parents can know what their baby will be like, but i guess if you can wait a little, that makes a lot more sense

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that system better than here, where you need a name to leave the hospital. Also, ultrasounds and knowing the baby's gender wasn't really too common in India, so name choosing took a lot longer.
    4 was just for brownie points <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. yea i love twizzlers

    my parents were gonna name me kumar. surprise surprise

    my child is gonna be natesh jr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Other than Twizzlers, i'm not a fan of licorice. I can't even spell "licorice" -checks- Oh okay I did it right :D

    I asked my parents why they chose Sherry and Tiffany; my father's response was that they just went by the alphabet. I asked, why not start with "A" ? His response was "We didn't want that many kids."

    I believed this for a few years of my life - then I decided that my dad likes to pull things out of his butt a lot, so I don't believe that anymore. I still don't know why "Sherry", though....

    I can't imagine myself as anything else. I'm very attached to my name, and I'm attached to my last name, and I'm attached to my middle name, too. I also dislike it when people don't spell my name right, though I can't really blame them if they didn't ever hear/see that it is spelled with a "y".

    I've also thought a lot about how attached to my name I would be if I was named something more often used, ie Stephanie. Would I feel strongly attached to my name, or is the attachment to my name because it's not as common? Hm.

    Also, your palindrome name and birth are very, very cool.

    -Sherry

    ReplyDelete