Friday, October 22, 2010

There is. It's called captcha

I was planning to blog earlier, but I literally just got home and finished eating dinner. I stayed after, and didn't leave yearbook until 7:25.


In fact, I've spent over 13 hours this week after school putting it together with Karen and Holly :O I don't know why I do it, or if I even like it, but truth be told, it gives me a sense of purpose. I like to think that someday someone will look at their yearbook, and think on these years with kind hindsight. They won't remember the embarrassing moments, like the time they slipped in the hallways (2x in one day), or that time they weren't prepared for an oral and made a fool of themselves. They'll only remember the good times, like that time they won an award, or made a lifelong friend. A lot of people accomplish great things in high school; it's just nice knowing that 50 years down the road, I'll have tangible evidence of my efforts. The yearbook is proof that I did something with my time.

Yearbook order forms will soon be out. I will post all information on our Facebook page, or if you would prefer, I could post some of the bigger announcements on my blog :P

Now for a slice of my life:

It is said that friends come and go. None more so, than those in period 2 study. At times it feels as though the entire school is clustered into the cafeteria, and other days, it's just me...


Well, being who I am, I have made some new friends :) Without further ado, meet my Hispanic (mostly) Buddies!


To the left is Gabriel. Though he's only taking Spanish 4H, he's much better than me at Spanish, so I ask him for help with my homework. He's really nice and strangely studious. Of all the kids in study (myself included), he's the only one who pulls out homework and works on it everyday. It's ridiculously admirable. Imagine if the Asians (and Jews) of our school could channel that kind of focus, we'd beat out Thomas Jefferson in a heartbeat.


To the right is DJ (not Mojica). He's only 15, but he's more than 8 inches taller than me. As he puts it, he's a mutt mutt; 3 different races on each side, including Hispanic, Italian, etc. He's really sweet; yesterday he rode on his bike to Shoprite especially to get his mom a birthday present. I sort of bother him in study, but I don't think he minds. He's friends with Louis, my other new Hispanic friend. He left with Ms. McQuade today, so unfortunately I don't have a picture of him.

Yesterday, during lunch, Greg Parry came over to the table and dumped a ridiculous number of forks and spoons onto the table. Ishan then proceeded to stuff all of them into Aaron's backpack. It was funny, but I didn't expect it to happen again...
Today, Greg once again walks over to the table and unloads all these forks and spoons:

 <- note spoons

Turns out, that this is all in protest of the school's having charged him $5 to buy a new ID. According to him, he's been doing this for about a week now. I can sympathize though, because one time when I was particularly frustrated with the school, I stole a few sheets of paper from a ream of paper by the mountain of paper near the cafeteria. It sort of felt satisfying because it was nice paper (really long and thick). However, I ended up using it for signs at the activity fair, so I guess I returned it in a sense.

In Spanish class, this was carved into the desk I was sitting at:


Either it's a really creative play on words, in which case it's very punny, or the person couldn't spell marijuana properly. In any case, I thought it was kind of funny. Speaking of funny, we were "discussing the reading" in groups, when Michelle brought up the Harry Potter tests going around on facebook. I then mentioned how I had taken a test to see if I was asian (turns out I'm 0% asian, and a gui lo at that; it was news to me), which inspired Hansin to ask, "I wonder if there's is a test to see if you're human?" Whereupon Michelle responded,
"There is. It's called captcha"

6 comments:

  1. 1. i love you for the yearbook. if only people realized how much effort you guys put into it. i wonder if half of them even realize that it is you who put everything together.
    2. your hispanic buddies are adorable.
    3. LOL AT GREG. and i have always wanted to steal a box of w.b. mason paper.
    4. hahaha captchas. some of those word combinations are entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You blog like a pro already :D
    I'm mentioned on the blog.... YIPPEEEE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog <3 and michelle's comment really was epic ... sorry for all of the blog jokes i told today (i take them back) ... and just so you know you have to pass a captcha to post on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL that's what those security things are called? captcha.. huh..interesting. Nice entry I enjoyed reading it ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Anna, this post literally made me laugh out loud.. and got me a weird look from my mom and sis :D Only you anna would make friends in all Period 2 studies, which is a fabulous compliment btw. I'm only in your Day 2 (I think.. I don't keep track of days anymore.. whole months go by without my noticing). LOL at Greg. Cute post <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. W.B. Mason! That's the paper I stole!!!
    Loving the irony of captcha
    My Hispanic Budies are fantabulous
    Greg is amazingly awkward and funny xP

    ReplyDelete