Monday, October 25, 2010

"My black grandpa in China who passed away."

I feel as though it is high time for a blog about the college process. From the bad to the embarrassing to the funny, this will be a tell all of Anna's college experience thus far.


I used to say I just wanted to be in college already; now I kind of just want to forget all about it. I don't do my applications not because I don't have enough time, but rather because I don't want to face the music. It's just a really overwhelming endeavor. The essays demand that I advocate who I really am. But do I know who I really am? Each application asks of my interests and potential majors, and it feels as though I'm signing away my life to a big fat unknown. Also, am I applying to the right schools? What if I'm wasting my time? What if going there would be a mistake and I would be miserable? There are just so many doubts that you can't help but want to avoid the issue. But, like all things unpleasant in this world, I guess we'll just have to suck it up and be bold!


I am applying early action to two school or rather I was. I don't think I stand a chance with Georgetown anymore. In my email requesting an interview I called my female interviewer a Mr.  If someone addressed you by the wrong title, wouldn't you mess with them?


I think many of us are discovering how difficult it is to stand out amongst such amazing people. The one thing I can say about East Brunswick without hesitation is that I've met many people who are just soooo talented and will go soooo far in life! Anyhow, I was randomly stalking on facebook (I'm just waiting for the day I get an error message saying, "You have exceeded your daily quota of fb stalking. Please wait 72 minutes before resuming your stalking") and I saw a comment by Ivan suggesting to Sherry that she should convince the admissions officers that she's part Native American. Well, I have an even better plan. You should just say you're part black. There's no way the college could prove that you're lying. Not if you just mention,
"My black grandpa in China who passed away."
Food for thought:
Has anything as embarrassing happened to you?
What has been your most interesting experience thus far?
Do you have a better excuse for colleges?
Are you certain of who you are and where you want to go?

7 comments:

  1. For two months I was writing letters to someone I thought was guy concerning a test, and then I met "him" and he ended up being a she.

    ReplyDelete
  2. uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hardest part is starting the essays, like picking a topic. And deciding whether or not to ED to school was nearly impossible too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, disable captcha, it is so annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, who is your Georgetown interviewer? Mine was a sweetheart, and you might have her, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Jayasree Iyer. and how do I disable it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. To prove to you that I'm actually reading your blog, I decided to comment :D
    What's my excuse for not doing apps? Reading random people's blogs... *cough*

    And college stuff is pretty unpredictable; I don't think anyone (including the soooo talented) really has an automatic "in". Maybe if you donate ten million to the school. But no one can/wants to spend that much money just so that they can spend another 50,000 per year for 4 more years...

    ReplyDelete