Monday, January 3, 2011

Why trailers, why?

I am highly prone to what my elementary teacher (forget which one) used to refer to as teflon brain aka forgetfulness. To prevent that from interfering with my blogging experience, I have a sticky note on my laptop dedicated specifically to random potential post subjects. Only thing is, I usually write my entries while inspired by some idea or other, so the ideas on my sticky note just get put by the wayside.

Now that it's a new year, I feel as though it's high time to get rid of all my old blog brainstorm ideas, so for the next few days, I'll try to just run through them, topic by topic. Sound good? No? Well, you've got no say in this :P so here goes:

I hate hate hate how trailers give everything away nowadays! It's like why bother watching the movie when you basically just saw the entire film in 30 sec? This mostly applies to romance and comedy movies and of course their child - the romantic comedy, but each in their own respective ways.

In terms of romantic films, the trailer usually has to show some kind of "action" in order to attract an audience, and by action, I mean the kissing or sex kind. However, that inherently gives away so much of the plot; especially if they decide to include the grand climatic "run into each other's arms" moment.

Here's one example that I remember turned me off from watching the movie initially. I'm not certain that I would consider Letters to Juliet of a true romance film caliber, but as it's hardly humorous, I suppose it counts. For guys who wouldn't watch a chick flick, just watch the trailer and you'll pretty much know the entire story.

Now comedy movies, tend to feel inclined to stuff the trailers with every funny scene in the movie. It's almost like they don't think people will go to watch if they're unconvinced of the funniness of the movie, but honestly, it shouldn't take that much effort if the movie is truly funny. The evident chemistry between the actors alone should be able to sell the film. For example, I remember the first time I saw the trailer for Due Date during the previews for some film, I nearly died laughing just watching Zach Galifianakis laughing during the first 30 seconds of the trailer; that alone was enough to entice me to watch the film. Imagine my disappointment when those who watched the movie told me afterwards that every good moment was already revealed in the trailer. Well, that was that; I never did end up watching the movie. But seriously, why reveal your catch phrase in the trailer?!?! Rather than having the audience walk out the theater quoting your movie, they'll be strolling out their living rooms quoting the trailer.

As for romantic comedies, the producers are obviously just trying to tempt viewers with the clichéd "happy ending" without which it wouldn't truly by a romantic comedy. But, seeing as romantic comedies are by nature very predictable, why give away the entire plot in a trailer? We know that girl will meet boy, and girl will fall in love with boy, and boy will fall in love with girl, throw in some conflict, stir up some angst, convenient solution, and *poof* happy ending. Still, I need the trailer to give me some hope that this one will be different, not just the same characters with different costumes on and a different beautiful backdrop. In general, romantic comedies really have to work on the predictability factor, but that's a whole other discussion. (See trailer of No Strings Attached).

On a more interesting note, how funny is it that Natalie Portman's new movie is almost identical to her best friend and recent Black Swan costar Mila Kunis' new film Friends with Benefits. Which do you think will be better? I have to say, Mila's has the better trailer by far. The funny scenes are funnier, the sexy scenes seem sexier, and their chemistry just seems more laid back than acted. Or maybe it's just because of how hot Justin Timberlake looks in it, and I don't even usually think that of him. In The Social Network...he just looked mehhh...In this trailer, it's like he discovered the Fountain of Youth, or made a deal with alien lifeforms to grant him 10 years back.

So, this blog seems to have run overtime. Hopefully in the next few days, I'll be more concise as I move down the list. All I know is that I refuse to let this list build up neglected any longer. For now,
Why trailers, why?

No comments:

Post a Comment