Saturday, January 22, 2011

Why wouldn't we just keep a diary?

To add to my last post, there was this really funny comment on one of videos which I found necessary to share:

it's not really intentional but every time I pause one of Alex's videos he's always making a weird face

I've found that she/he's absolutely right. Feel free to try it for yourselves. Let it load (perhaps by watching it?) and then pause it, and click at random moments. It's nearly guaranteed that he'll be making some strange face or another. It probably just means that he's very expressive and animated while speaking, but nonetheless, it's amusing:



Notice how I read the comments. I love comments. I enjoy reading them more than watching the actual videos themselves most times. Ergo, I HATE how Youtube got rid of the comments tab under their videos. It makes it so annoying to watch videos on a person's channel because I'm always having to click back to the individual video links just to go read the comments, which I always do. I just really like seeing how others perceive what I watch.

Actually, this extends beyond just Youtube and other videos. Many people have called me really weird for this, but I actually read summaries of Kdramas more often than I watch them. Don't get me wrong, I still watch a lot of series, but some shows, like Secret Garden, I watched entirely in summaries on Dramabeans. I just find it so much more entertaining because let's be honest television shows get repetitive after a while. The plots are predictable, and there's only certain parts of it that interest you anyhow; especially when it comes to Kdramas. It takes a lot of time (that I don't have) to watch entire episodes and I have to really sit there an watch because don't actually understand the Korean language. Comments and summaries on the other hand, offer a unique perspective and real life takes on the material.

I would actually love to get involved in drama subbing and perhaps hosting a blog like dramabeans, but that would require a few prerequisites:

1. The dramas would have to be in Chinese (that includes Taiwanese ones)
2. The drama would have to be good -> obstacle #1
3. I have time to do it -> obstacle #2. I honestly don't understand how Dramabeans does what it does. Do the people not sleep? Don't they have lives to lead and maintain? Or are they paid to do what they do? I'm not sure. If I ever to go through with this endeavor, I'll be sure to attempt to contact them for advice.
4. That people are actually interested in Chinese dramas -> obstacle #3
5. My Chinese needs to be better -> obstacle #4. I can work on that though, and hopefully one result of this endeavor would be an improvement of my Chinese skills, so I won't let this obstacle infringe on my undertaking of this project.

Conclusion: it's not happening.

Back to the matter at hand: comments. I love love love comments, and here comes the dreaded blogger request: please comment more. I'm sure any blogger would tell you the same thing.

Could've Been Rich McCool:
"I know a lot of you visit, but don't leave comments, so hopefully this will give you guys something to comment on! Comments are really satisfying, I like thinking that my posts are doing more than just being read, that they're also provoking thought!"
Indraneel the Senior
By the way guys, the best way to keep me updating is to 1) bother me about it 2) promote my blog, like Rich did just now and 3) leave a comment! 
The concept is really quite simple. Comments are the lifeblood of all blogs. When readers comment more, bloggers blog more. When readers don't comment, blogs slowly begin to die, just like all three of ours and I'm sure others have. But, never fear! because all blogs can be revived. Leave a response; make this a two-way conversation :D Don't leave us hanging. Blogs are essentially written for the writer themselves, but reader participation is what keeps the writer motivated to keep writing. Otherwise,
Why wouldn't we just keep a diary?
 

2 comments: