Thursday, January 24, 2013

Laptop Labyrinth

My computer is a lot like Super Mario Brothers. I remember getting SMB for the Gameboy Advanced in 3rd grade. I was obsessed! Sure, it was fun, but what really made it addicting was the knowledge that there were all kinds of hidden content there that I couldn't access. I just HAD to find all those star coins and secret hidden feathers of magical flight granting ability, etc.

Well, in a much less fun way, my computer is like SMB to me. It's actually palpable how much I do NOT know how to fully utilize it. I mean I only just learned the shortcut keys for enlarging and shrinking text (ctrl+shift+< / >). Actually, let's not even talk about hidden functions, programs, apps, etc. I don't even know how to use the blatantly apparent functions on my computer. For example, I'm sure half the buttons on the top row of my keyboard could be life-changing, but I just can't be bothered to check them out. Home, End, PgUp, PgDn? I'm 100% sure I could greatly improve my life efficiency if I could just learn how to properly utilize them and incorporated them into my technological vernacular.

Bottom line: technology is amazing! but what use is there in constantly upgrading to the next level, if you don't ever use any functions beyond the most cursory Microsoft Office and Internet functions?

No comments:

Post a Comment