Sunday, June 19, 2011

Almost graduated

Graduation is almost here! It's strange thinking that by this time tomorrow, I will have had my diploma in hand and will no longer be lying on all those job applications, saying I'm a high school graduate (I'm banking on the fact that by the time they process my application, I will already have graduated. shh) I feel as though I know what I should be feeling, but it honestly hasn't sunk in yet. It's kind of like when I turned 18. You know it marks a significant turn in your life, but you can't quite grasp the full implications.

So, what is this nearly graduated 18 year old doing with herself these days? Why roommate hunting of course! Georgetown offers this program known as CHARMS wherein you get to eharmony style online date for a freshman roomie. Sounds great right? Well, only mostly.


The pro is the obvious: you get to choose your own roommate. You get a say in who you have to brave the upcoming transition with. At the very least, you know you'll be rooming with someone who will be giving you a chance. You both chose each other, so you know they at a minimum would like to be friends with you (unless you both previously reached an agreement to not be friends...to each their own?).

The con: you get to choose your own roommate. It's an exhausting process and at the end of the day, you know that if this doesn't work out, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

In the meantime, I'm having a great time meeting new people and it's been great getting to know everyone even if they won't all be my roommate. It's reassuring knowing that these people who up until now were just a far off sentiment are now becoming real to me. I know that they're having just as awkward a time of this as I am, and that we're all starting on some sort of common ground. See, it's interesting that although we come from all parts of the country - from places where ShopRite doesn't mean anything and New Jersey is just that little state below New York - we all have things in common. For one, everyone watches the same television shows, listens to the same music, and reads the same books. Alright, so we don't all watch and listen to the same stuff, but we could. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment